Wednesday, January 7, 2009

More progress


We are making more progress toward our move to the step down unit. While I tried to get Corinne to take a bottle, they switched out the big bed she had been laying on for a nice little hospital crib. She seems to be more comfortable and appreciates that we were able to attach a cute little aquarium for her to gaze at as she falls asleep. Her previous form of entertainment was the pole of blinking lights and flashing screens that supplied so many of her meds, which is no longer necessary. She is down to only one IV in her left hand that is used to give medications periodically, an oxygen monitor on her right hand, ng tube in her nose, and a few other monitors taped to her chest. Her feet are finally completely free! They are pretty bruised up from all the lines, but she enjoys being able to kick around more now.

The nurse changed out the dressing on Corinne's incision and we were able to get a look at it for the first time. It was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. There are no external stitches, just steri-strips and all of the internal stitches will dissolve. That means we don't have to worry about stress from having any stitches removed and the nurse said it leaves much cleaner scar.

I was unsuccessful at getting Corinne to feed from a bottle. She just gagged at it and seemed completely uninterested. I don't really blame her... She's getting what she needs through the ng tube for now, and we'll continue to work on bottle feedings. I know she'll come around eventually.

Today Corinne is resting very well. Daddy did a great job working the night shift and has headed home to get some much deserved rest.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that Corinne continues to improve and know that it won't be long before she's back at home. As time permits, keep the updates coming. :) Keep me in mind if you need anything.
    Charlayne Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett and family,
    I am so glad to hear of Corinne's progress. I have kept all of you in my prayers and my children have placed her name in the prayer baskets at their schools. I will continue to pray for her complete recovery.
    Renee' Rupp

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news on all the progress!!! Seems seems to be resting soooo well in that little crib too!! Thanks for the updates!!

    ReplyDelete